If you need a quick dish for a Halloween party, make Bloody Eyeballs. These are really just deviled eggs, but halved crosswise so they look like eyeballs. You can double or triple the recipe, as needed.
To get the recipe and shopping list on your smartphone (iPhone, BlackBerry, Android device) or PC, click here.
3 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled, and still warm
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cherry tomatoes
2 pitted kalamata or other olives
- Trim a thin slice from the top and bottom of the egg. This will keep each bloody eyeball from wobbling, when set on its end. Cut the egg in half crosswise (not lengthwise, as in typical deviled eggs, because you want round eyeballs, not elongated ones).
- Gently remove yolks. With a fork, mash yolks with mayonnaise and mustard, and season with salt and pepper. Return yolks to egg white cavities, dividing equally and mounding to form eyeball shape.
- Peel skins from the tomatoes. Using the tip of a paring knife or kitchen scissors, cut thin strips of skin. You don’t need perfect strips. Arrange strips, spokes-fashion, around the yolk. It’s easier to work with a bamboo skewer to move the thin strips in place.
- Slice olives crosswise. Top egg with a slice of olive in the center, pressing gently into the yolk.
- Repeat with remaining eggs.
Makes 6 bloody eyeballs.
Note: To make hard-cooked eggs, check out Ben’s tutorial.
For another flavor, try Curry Chutney Deviled Eggs.
Special Fork is a recipe website for your smartphone and PC that solves the daily dinnertime dilemma: what to cook now! Our bloggers blog Monday through Friday to give you cooking inspiration. Check out our recipe database for quick ideas that take no more than 30 minutes of prep time. Follow us on Facebook , Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube.