What’s Cooking for the Fourth?
We’re not having a big cookout for the Fourth of July this year because there’s too much going on in our life right now. It will just be our family – Steve and me, Dave, Lynn and baby Tara, who, at five weeks old, makes up in entertainment what we lack in party size.
Still, I wouldn’t dream of letting the day go by without grilling some ribs and corn, cutting wedges of ice-cold watermelon and making a few sides. I’ve been going through our more than 500 previous Special Fork blog posts, looking for menu ideas, and I pulled these to consider for Thursday – you might like to try them, too.
Easy dips and appetizers:
- Dave’s Curry Chutney Deviled Eggs boasts big, bold flavors, guaranteed to be the hit of your barbecue.
- Andrew’s Late Summer Gazpacho is a deliciously cold, zesty soup that transports easily in an insulated container for a picnic or potluck.
- Easy White Bean Dip with Pistachio and Cilantro goes great with pita chips and veggie sticks.
- Andrew’s Basic Guacamole includes ingredient ideas for customizing the dip to create your own signature version.
- Marilyn’s Melon and Prosciutto Salad works for fancy or casual barbecues; kids can help by making the melon balls.
- Linda’s Lemony Kale Salad with Apples and Nuts is healthy and tasty; this hardy salad will travel well, too.
- Lori’s refreshing Watermelon, Lime and Feta Salad can be made in minutes; serve immediately after assembling to keep melon crisp.
- Decadent Chocolate Nut Bars developed by Ben are a cross between pecan pie and shortbread cookies. Keep these lovely cookies in the shade or chocolate will melt.
- Lori’s sophisticated Rich Chocolate Cherry Chip Brownies are studded with dried tart cherries that have been soaked in a sour cherry cordial liqueur.
- And if you’re in a real time crunch, Last-minute Fourth of July Desserts (pictured above) just require assembly of commercially prepared desserts or instant mixes – you add the decorative red, white and blue touches.
Happy Fourth of July from all of us at Special Fork!
Special Fork is a recipe website for your smartphone and PC that solves the daily dinnertime dilemma: what to cook now! Our bloggers blog Monday through Friday to give you cooking inspiration. Check out our recipe database for quick ideas that take no more than 30 minutes of prep time. Follow us on Facebook , Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube.