Bacon, Onion and Kale Stuffing
- 1 pound loaf of bread, such as Italian, multi-grain or cornbread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (11 cups)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package (5 ounces) baby kale
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or stock, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Spread bread out on a large sheet pan and toast in middle of oven, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 7 minutes, and let cool. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until crispy. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in skillet with fat over moderate heat. Add onions, celery and salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add kale, thyme, sage and garlic and cook stirring, until kale is just starting to wilt, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat.
- In large bowl, add cooked onion mixture, eggs and 1 ¾ cups broth and stir well. Add bacon and bread cubes. tossing until just combined. Put in prepared dish and dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Drizzle with remaining ½ cup broth. Cover with foil and bake in middle of oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes more.
- Add to turkey sandwiches
- Use as a topping for shepherd’s pie
- Add to ground meat for a meatloaf or meatballs
- Use as a stuffing for pork chops or to put on top of chicken cutlets or salmon, and bake.
- Use as a stuffing for mushrooms, baked clams, zucchini or peppers
- Add more egg and some leftover shredded turkey or cooked or canned salmon and make into fritters, pan fried in olive oil or baked. Top with a lemon garlic yogurt.
- Mix in a little more beaten egg and form into balls with a nugget of mozzarella in the center and pan-fry in olive oil or bake.