This simple soup can be made the night before or early in the day, but whatever you do, serve it as cold as possible. If you make it directly before serving, add a few ice cubes to the blender when puréeing. Halve the recipe for two people.
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, minced
- 2 large summer tomatoes, preferably heirloom, chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Ice cubes if necessary
- Croutons for garnish
Garnish: 1 cup reserved chopped vegetables (see instructions) Croutons
Combine the vegetables, except the tomatoes, in a bowl and mix well. Remove ½ cup of the mixture and set aside for garnish. Place the remaining vegetables with the tomatoes and tomato juice in a food processor or blender and blend to a coarse consistency. Transfer the gazpacho to a large bowl and season to taste with the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Place a few tablespoons of the vegetable garnish with croutons in each bowl. Stir the gazpacho well, ladle into bowls and top with croutons.
Makes 4 servings.