Melon and Prosciutto Salad
This salad offers a lovely combination of flavors – fruity and fragrant melons, the sweet acidity of balsamic vinegar and salty prosciutto. If you don’t have a melon baller, just peel, seed and dice the melon instead.
- 1 head green butter lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 – 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cantaloupe, cut into balls or peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 honeydew melon, into balls or peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 pound prosciutto, sliced into ribbons
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram leaves
Line a serving bowl, platter or four individual salad plates with the butter lettuce to create a “nest“ for the salad. (Can be made in advance and set aside in the refrigerator.)
Make the vinaigrette: Whisk together olive oil and vinegar in a small bowl; season to taste with pepper and set aside.
Make the salad: Toss the cantaloupe and honeydew melon balls with the prosciutto and marjoram leaves. Lightly dress the mixture with the vinaigrette, to taste. Spoon salad onto lettuce nest(s) and serve.
Makes 4 servings