Pumpkin Cake with Browned Butter Icing
This cake will seem dry the first day, but will get moist the next day if wrapped in plastic wrap. It will keep for days.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (15-oz) can pureed pumpkin
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour (or spray with baking spray) a 10-inch Bundt pan and set aside. Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together brown sugar, oil and eggs; whisk in pumpkin until smooth. Add dry ingredients and stir just until incorporated. Pour into Bundt pan, and smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- To make the icing, heat butter in a small pot or skillet over high heat, swirling pan, until butter begins to brown and smell nutty. Pour into a bowl and add confectioners’ sugar; stir until smooth. Add maple syrup, vanilla and salt, and stir until smooth.
- Invert Bundt pan over a cake platter and remove pan. Pour icing over cake and let set for about 15 minutes. Wrap loosely in plastic wrap and let sit for 1 day before slicing and eating.