Quick Pickled Vidalia Onions
These sweet onion pickles take minutes to make and are delicious with hot dogs and hamburgers. They’ll keep for 2 weeks in the fridge.
Check out the demo video for quick pickled Vidalia onions.
- 2 medium Vidalia onions, sliced into ¼” wedges lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh toasted coriander seeds
Cover onions with water in a 2- to 3-quart heavy non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large glass or stainless steel bowl. In the same saucepan, heat vinegar, water, brown sugar, salt, pepper and coriander seeds and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes; remove from the heat pour over onions. Cool uncovered to room temperature. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 2 weeks.
Source: Adapted from The Vidalia Onion Committee, recipe by Culinary Works Founder Gena Berry,
- To toast coriander seeds, put them in a small dry skillet over medium heat and heat a few minutes until fragrant.
- Be sure to use seasoned rice vinegar; not regular rice vinegar, for this recipe.