Rich Espresso Brownies
These brownies are sinfully rich, with a hit of espresso. Cut them in squares or use cookie cutters to make fancy shapes.
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1½ sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat a 9 X 9-inch square metal baking pan with baking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together espresso powder and 2 tablespoons hot water until powder is dissolved. Transfer to a medium saucepan with butter and chocolate. Melt mixture over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in sugar until combined well. Whisk in eggs one at a time, until each one is well incorporated. Add vanilla, flour and salt and stir until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few crumbs clinging, about 50 minutes.
- Let brownies cool completely and with a cookie cutter or knife, cut into serving pieces. Dust with confectioner’s sugar if desired.