This hearty and healthful winter salad makes a delicious main dish for one. It’s so tasty, it’s guaranteed to make a Brussels sprouts and kale lover out of anybody.
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/8 cup sliced red onion
- Pinch each salt and black pepper, with more to taste
- 1 slice bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced, trimmed and cored Brussels sprouts (about 6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup sliced whole roasted peeled chestnuts optional
- 1 1/2 cups baby kale leaf
- chopped pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons crumbled fresh goat cheese
- In a serving bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard and honey. Slowly add 1 tablespoon of the oil until combined well. Add onion with salt and pepper to taste, tossing to combine.
- Meanwhile cook bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon and drain bacon on paper towels. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the sprouts and chestnuts, if using, to skillet and cook over moderately high heat until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add kale and cook until slightly wilted, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer cooked ingredients to the serving bowl with the dressing; add dates and goat cheese and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pomegranate seeds for a sweet crunch
- Spiced or roasted nuts
- Shaved Parmesan or Manchego cheese, instead of goat cheese